Children's Dental Health MonthPublished 02/25/2014
From infancy to our elder years, good oral hygiene has a significant effect on the health of our entire body. By beginning routine dental practices from infancy, children grow up with good habits that bring many rewards throughout their lifetime. Children's Dental Health Month is the perfect time for parents and children to brush up on their dental health knowledge. Here are a few important points to remember:
- Your family dentist is your partner in good health. Make sure to schedule regular checkups as this allows your dentist to perform thorough cleanings as well as thorough exams that can help detect health issues. Remember to ask questions during your visits. Your dentist is a great source of information and can help you establish a proper and enjoyable oral hygiene routine for you and your children.
- One common misconception is that baby teeth are not very important because they eventually fall out and are replaced by adult teeth. As temporary placeholders, baby teeth play an important role in the alignment of permanent teeth. Cavities on baby teeth can affect the gum tissue which can harm future adult teeth. That is why children’s dentists recommend you start cleaning your baby’s gums with a soft wash cloth and water even before their teeth come in. When the first tooth comes in, use a soft toothbrush and water or non-fluoridated toothpaste. At about age 2 you can begin to use a pea size amount of fluoride toothpaste. It is also important for parents to brush their child's teeth until the child displays the ability to complete the task on their own.
- Dentists for kids agree that sugary drinks like fruit juices and soft drinks should never be given to young children in bottles or sippy cups. Fruit drinks, like apple and orange juice, contain relatively large amounts of sugar that can lead to tooth decay. You should especially avoid giving your child these drinks at bed time.
Happy Smiles Dentists are MS Licensed General Dentists
- There are currently no posts made in 2017/2018, please check back later!
- Dec. 2014 - Maximize Your Dental Benefits Before December 31st!
- Nov. 2014 - Why You Should Never Delay Dental Treatment
- Oct. 2014 - Teeth-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Sept. 2014 - Are You Afraid of the Family Dentist?
- Aug. 2014 - Is Your Child Missing School Due To Dental Issues?
- July 2014 - Preventing & Treating Tooth Grinding (Bruxism)
- June 2014 - Summertime Snacks That Brighten Your Smile
- May 2014 - Health Problems Tied To Gum Disease
- Apr. 2014 - About Dental Sedation & Tips
- Mar. 2014 - What Parents Should Know About Fluoride
- Feb. 2014 - Children's Dental Health Month
- Dec. 2013 - 7 New Year’s Resolutions For A Healthier Smile
- Nov. 2013 - Use Your Dental Insurance Before The New Year
- Oct. 2013 - Halloween Tips For Treats
- Oct. 2013 - Honored To Serve Our Military
- Sept. 2013 - Baby Tooth Decay: It's Possible & Preventable
- Aug. 2013 - Help Your Child Overcome Fear Of Dentists
- July 2013 - Dental Sealants: What Parents Should Know
- June 2013 - Toddler Teeth Brushing: 6 Fun Tips!
- May 2013 - Greetings From Happy Smiles